In 1946, Walter & Ruby Ott purchased Red’s Café located at the Junction of US 71 and Route 66 – the “Crossroads of America”. Walter began serving a salad dressing like the ruby-red his mother used to make. This Red dressing (now known as Ott’s Famous Dressing) was in such high demand that in 1947 he began to bottle and sell it to restaurant customers. Travelers from around the world, traveling Route 66 began requesting the dressing. In 1948, due to the overflow of requests Walter and Ruby sold Red’s Café and concentrated solely on the salad dressing business and so began Ott Food Products. In 1954, to accommodate expanding production needs, they purchased property on Fairview Avenue in Carthage, Missouri where the company remains today.
Today Ott’s is retailed in over 2,000 grocery stores ranging over 15 states. Ott’s also carries a full-line of foodservice items in gallons and portion cups. Over 40 flavors are sold by approximately 34 foodservice distributors. In addition Ott’s produces many private label brands.